Pregnancy is a very unique time in the life of a woman during which it is even more important, to look after her well-being.
Pregnancy is full of changes. On a physical level this can lead to discomforts such as:
- back pain
- poor digestion
- mood swings
- disrupted sleep
just to name a few.
A regular pregnancy yoga practice supports pregnant women in maintaining a healthy and flexible body and to ease those discomforts. The body gains strength, which is particularly important in order to be able to cope with the increasing weight and to be prepared for the time of labour and birth.
What to expect in a pregnancy yoga session
- specially modified Hatha Yoga postures → which help to accommodate the pregnancy by creating strength, flexibility and space ;
- different breathing techniques → which help to calm the mind and to maintain or develop a deep and thorough breathing throughout pregnancy and which also can be applied easily during labour;
- deep relaxation and meditation re-energise the mum-to-be entirely,
- ongoing information about the benefits of the above and what is suitable for labour and birth,
- moral and emotional support from the fellow mums-to-be.
How can pregnancy yoga help with labour and birth
- regular pregnancy yoga prepares the body, particularly pelvis and legs, for labour and birth
- some movements that are taught regularly are beneficial throughout labour
- different breathing techniques practised on a regular basis help to cope with the intensity of labour and birth and enable to apply these techniques easily when needed
What to wear and bring?
Pregnancy yoga is suitable for all women, from 16 weeks till due date. No previous experience is necessary.
Ongoing sessions are held on Wednesday evenings at the 1st Scouts Hall in Ickenham, these sessions need to be booked through me.
I also offer a regular Saturday morning drop-in class at the Hillingdon Leisure Centre (check the timetable for details). This class needs to be booked through the Leisure Centre directly on 0845 130 7324 or online via their website . Due to popular demand, please book in early.
Yoga for Birth Workshops
This workshop is designed to introduce the pregnant woman and her birth partner to a yogic approach helping to facilitate late pregnancy, labour and birth. It covers the different stages of labour and how yoga can be helpful in terms of postures, movements and breathing; also for positioning and breathing for birthing itself. We look how the partners can be of help throughout the labouring and birthing process.
The following topics are covered:
- The importance of the posture in late pregnancy and optimal foetal positioning
- Management of labour and birth with breathing and movement
- Physical and emotional support for the labouring woman
- Birthing positions
- Ayurveda and postpartum women
It’s a 3 hour workshop, mainly on a Saturday afternoon, costs are £50 per couple or £25 per person if you would like or just can come on your own.
For pregnant women from 32 weeks onwards with their birth supporters.