Foundation Course 1
This Foundation Course is followed by a BWYQ Level 4 Diploma Course in Teaching Yoga.
The Foundation Course is not a teaching qualification.
First requirement is a deep love for yoga and a keen interest to learn about all aspects of it. If that is the case, then we can arrange an interview in order to provide the opportunity to find out the suitability for the course. Please bear in mind, that this course is an investment into your development and requires commitment for its duration, which makes it important that you feel comfortable with your choice.
- This BWY Foundation Course will stretch out over seven months.
- Interested students need to have practised Yoga for at least two years.
- They are required to be a member of the BWY. Membership fees are currently £30, please contact the British Wheel directly on 01529 306 851 or firstname.lastname@example.org or join online at www.bwy.org.uk.
- Please email me to register an interest in the Foundation Course and I will send you a syllabus and an application form.
Course Dates and Timing
The course involves 60 contact hours and will comprise of 10 full Sundays.
The dates for the coming course are: 2019: Nov 17th, Dec 15th, 2020: Jan 12th + 26th, Feb 16th, Mar 15th + 29th, Apr 19th, May 17th + 31st
Each day runs from 10.00am – 5.30pm
- Asanas (Yoga postures) from the syllabus
- Breath work and Pranayama techniques
- Mudras and Kriya (cleasing practice)
- Concentration and meditation techniques
- Different relaxation techniques
- Discussion of Yoga concepts
Yoga Philosophy and Discussion
- Brief history and origins of Yogafctimeline
- Different paths of Yoga
- The eight limbs of Yoga as outlined in Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras
- Discussion about the BWY teacher training
Students are required to practise regularly throughout the course and are encouraged to reflect upon and make notes on their practice in a journal. Other than this there is no home written work and the course is not formally assessed.
The following books are required:
- “The Heart of Yoga” by TKV Desikachar
- “Asana, Pranayama, Mudra, Bandha” Swami Satyananda Saraswati
- A copy of Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras is also required for the course and my recommended translation is “The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali” by Shri Swami Satchidananda.
Costs and payment details
The total investment for this course is £640
- BWY membership for 1 year £30
- BWY Course registration fee £60 (covers administration and certification costs)
- Course fees £550
- BWY membership fee needs to be paid directly to the BWY (www.bwy.org.uk).
- The £60 registration fee needs to be sent to me, I am going to send it on later.
- The non refundable deposit of £250 is payable on acceptance, the full course fee must be paid by at the latest by November17th, 2019. Should you need assistance with paying the £550 fee please contact me. For bank transfer details, please contact me.
NB you are only guaranteed your place once the deposit is received
Terms of Payment
There is an initial deposit of £250. Please note that this deposit is not refundable under any circumstances. If you pay for a course and are unable to take part, or are unable to complete the course, for whatever reason, the fees are non-refundable. I may be able to give you credit to do another course, but this is completely at me discretion.
Booking the course
If you are interested in taking this course, please complete the application form, which I will email to you, this initially reserves your place. On completion of your interview and acceptance on the course, you will be required to pay your BWY membership (if you haven’t done so already) registration and course fees or a deposit in order to secure your place.
- Please contact me and I am going to send you an application form, syllabus and teacher’s reference form.
- Please read the course syllabus carefully, making sure it meets your requirements/expectations.
- Return as requested completed signed application form and forward teacher’s reference form to your teacher. If I am your teacher I will return the reference form to me.
All sessions will be held at the 1st Scouts Hall in Ickenham, West London, which is a non-fancy, light, spacious, clean and warm stand alone venue with wooden floor and kitchen.
The venue is 2 mins walking distance from Piccadilly and Metropolitan Line and 10 min walk from Central Line and Chiltern Railways.
A40/M40 is 10 mins away so is the M25 Junction 16, parking is 100 m from the venue, free on Sundays.
“Embarking on the Yoga Foundation course with Katja opened a whole new dimension of yoga to me and has been an invaluable doorway to deepening my practice.
I took it for my own personal development and although I have been practicing yoga for over 20 years am definitely still a beginner on the journey and I learnt so much. Katja has a warm, engaging, light hearted but thoroughly expert teaching style and I warmed to her immediately. I feel I have been given a great gift in such an open and knowledgable teacher. Many of my fellow participants have become firm friends, and I would highly recommend the course to anyone at any stage of their practice with a curiosity to know more.”